Friday, January 27, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 99



           After hearing Chakrabartti's faith in her son it caused Kshemankari's heart to glow with maternal pride.
         Chakrabartti continued further : "I want to tell you frankly what is in my mind. I've heard that Nalinaksha Babu is going to be married, and that his bride is of age and has more education than is usual among our people. So I thought perhaps Haridasi---"
        "I see that, of course. You might certainly have cause for anxiety in that case. But that marriage will never take place," expressed Kshemankari.
        "Has the engagement been broken off," asked Chakrabartti in surprise.
        "There was never one to break off. Nalin didn't want it at all ; it was only I who urged him to marry, but I've given up pressing him. It's no good trying to force people against their inclination. It may be that I'll die without seeing him married at all. We can't foresee God's purposes," replied the old lady.
        Chakrabartti tried to console the old lady to help her overcome her pessimism about her son's marriage, saying, "You mustn't talk like that. What are your friends for ? A match maker is entitled to a dinner and a present, and the bait tempts me. for one !"
        Kshemankari was pleased by the timely gesture of Chakrabartti, and said, "Bless your good heart ! You see, I was greatly distressed to think that it was my fault that he has not entered the holy state. So I went off in too great a hurry and made proposals on his behalf without taking a good look round first. I've had to give up hope of bringing off this particular match, so now you people had better see what you can do ; but don't waste time over it, for I haven't much longer to live."
         Having understood the desperate belief of the old lady on him, Chakrabarthy took the opportunity to achieve his goal, and said, "I can't have you saying that. I know just the kind of daughter-in-law that will suit you ; not too young, but one who will be attentive and submissive to you ; we shan't select one who doesn't answer that description. Well, you mustn't worry yourself about it any more. God willing, it's as good as settled. Now, if you'll allow me, I'll just give Haridasi a little good advice about her behavior here, and I'll send Saila in to you ; she has been talking about you ever since she first met you."
        "You three had better a talk together," said Kshemankari and went inside to attend a work.
        Chakrabartti sought out Sailaja and Kamala, and found that tears were sparkling in Kamala's eyes. He said nothing but sat beside his daughter.
        "Dad," said Saila, "I've just been saying to Kamala that the time has come to tell Nalinaksha Babu the whole story and this foolish Haridasi of yours is quarreling with me about it."
        "No, didi," exclaimed Kamala, "I implore you not to mention such a thing. It's quite impossible."
        "How silly you are !" said Saila. "You would sit still and say nothing while Nalinaksha Babu married Hemamalini. Ever since your wedding-day you've been through the most terrible experiences ; they've nearly been death of you, and now you want to endure another ordeal."
        "My story mustn't be told to any one, didi," said Kamala. "I can bear anything but the shame of it. I'm all right as I am. I'm quite happy now, but if you let out the whole story I shouldn't be able to hold up my head in this house another minute ; I should never be able to survive the disgrace."

No comments:

Post a Comment