Monday, January 30, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 102



            A day before Kamala visited Uncle's house again, her proceedings in Nalinaksha's house made her to visit Sailaja and share her jubilation and happiness with Saila. On the day of her visit of Uncle's house next morning she took Saila aside as soon as she found an opportunity and clung to her in a fond embrace.
          "What makes you look so happy to-day, dear ?" asked Saila, caressing her.
          "I don't know, didi ; I feel somehow as if all my troubles were over."
          "Come now, you must tell me all about it. We were together yesterday till evening, what happened after that ?" asked Sailaja.
          "Nothing to speak of, really, but I feel that he is now mine indeed. He, for the first time, spoke to me as I was making his bed yesterday, after arranging roses in his room. As he appeared all of a sudden I was ready to sink into the floor in utter confusion. He was about to make exit to relieve me from my embarrassment, he stood for a moment undecided, then slowly returned and said, 'Please get up. You must not be shy with me !' When I rose this morning life seemed to have acquired a meaning for me. I felt happier and my work seemed lighter than I can describe. I want nothing more than that, didi. I cannot believe that Providence will be so kind as to make all my life equally happy," expressed Kamala.
         "I think myself that your luck has returned and that you won't be cheated out of it. You'll get with interest all that happiness that is due to you," said Saila.
          "No, you mustn't say that, didi. I've got all the interest already. I've no fault to find with my luck. There is nothing more that I want," said Kamala.
           Uncle came in at this point.
           "You must come out now for a minute, dear," he said to Kamala ; "Ramesh Babu's here."
           Uncle had been having a preliminary discussion with Ramesh himself.
          "I know the real facts of your relations with Kamala," he had said, "and my advice to you is to start life afresh and to leave her out of the question altogether. If there is any problem still to be solved arising out of your association with her leave it to Providence to settle ; don't attempt it yourself."
          Ramesh had replied, Before I put Kamala out of my life, I must relate to Nalinaksha the whole story ; otherwise I can never start again with a clear conscience. It may or may not be necessary to discuss Kamala's affairs again in this life. Even it should prove unnecessary I can never clear my conscience till I tell all that there is to be told."
         "Very well," said Uncle, "just wait here. I'll be back in a minute."
          Ramesh was gazing out of a window at the passers-by with an expression of apathy, he heard a step, and looking round saw a girl  in the act of making a deep obeisance to him. When she raised her head he sprang up in amazement, crying, "Kamala !"
         It was indeed Kamala who stood before him, silent and motionless.
         "Thank Heaven, Ramesh Babu," said Uncle, who had come in with her, "Kamala's misfortunes are at an end and there is clear sky before her. You saved her when she was in great peril and in so doing brought wretchedness on yourself. Now that the time has come for you to part company she cannot pass over in silence all that she owes to you. She has come to-day to bid you farewell and to receive your blessing."

No comments:

Post a Comment