Wednesday, January 18, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 90



             Hemamalini asked Kshemankari how she was.
             "When a person comes to my age," said the old lady, "I ought to be satisfied with being alive at all, but I shan't be able to cheat old Time for ever. However, I'm glad that you raised the subject. I've been intending to speak to you for some time, but haven't had an opportunity. When my fever came on again last night I decided not to put it off any longer. I know, in this age of yours one can talk freely about the marriage affairs with girls of your age and education. As such I want to talk about this now and you're not to be shy with me. Now just tell me this, dear. Did your father mention to you the proposal that I made to him the other day ?"
          "Yes, he mentioned it," said Hemamalini with down cast eyes.
          "But apparently you did not agree to it, dear," Kshemankari went on ; "if you had, Annada Babu would have come straight to me and told me. You took Nalin for an ascetic sort of person who spends the whole day and night in religious observances and you felt you would never be able to marry him. I must face that question though he is my son. But you people go wrong if you imagine him incapable of love. I've known him all his life and you must take my word for it. He's capable of such strong affection that it frightens him and keeps his feelings under strict control. One can easily find him a person of warm heart and I can assure you, Hem, dear, you're not a child ; you're educated and you've gone to Nalin for advice. I should die perfectly satisfied if I could see you installed in this house. I want to see you married because I know very well that he'll never marry after I die. He'll just drift about helplessly. You respect Nalin, I know ; tell me, dear, what is it that you object to him ?"
          "There is nothing that I object to if you consider me a suitable wife for him, mother," replied Hemamalini, with downcast eyes.
          When Kshemankari heard this she drew Hemamalini to her and kissed on her forehead.
           "Haridasi, just take these flowers and--" The old lady looked round and saw that Haridasi was not there ; she had slipped away quietly while they were talking.
           Hemamalini cut short her visit and departed saying, "I must be off early to-day, mother. Dad's not well."
          After Hemamalini's departure Kshemankari sent for Nalinaksha and greeted him on his appearance with exclamation, "Nalin,I can't wait any longer !"
         "What for ?" asked Nalinaksha.
         "I talked it over with Hem just now," said his mother, "and she has given consent, so I'm not going to listen to any objections from you. You see how it is with me. I'll never be content till you two are definitely engaged. I lay half of the night thinking about it."
       "Very well, mother," said Nalinaksha, "don't worry about it any longer, but sleep soundly, I'll do as you wish."

No comments:

Post a Comment