Saturday, January 28, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 100



            Saiaja found the fears of Kamal about revealing her identity, at this stage of Nalinaksha's marriage to take place with Hemamalini, were not unfounded as Kamala was afraid of loosing her place in the house where she intended to spend her life. But it still seemed to Sailaja intolerable to sit still and let Nalinaksha marry Hemamalini.
         "Is that marriage that you suppose really to take place ?" asked Chakrabartti.
         "Of course, dad ! Nalinaksha's mother has given the bride her blessings." said Saila.
         "Well, bless the Lord, that blessing won't operate. Kamala dear, you have nothing to fear. The right has conquered," declared Chakrabartti.
          Kamala was not sure what he meant and she stared at Uncle with wide-open eyes.
          "The engagement has been broken off," he explained. "Not only did Nalinaksha not agree to it, but his mother has come to her senses."
          Sailaja was enraptured. "We're saved, dad !" she cried. "I couldn't sleep last night after hearing of the engagement. But anyhow, is Kamala to go on living like a stranger in the house that is hers by right ? When are we to straighten out this tangle ?"
          "Don't be in hurry, Saila. Everything will come right in good time," said her father.
          "But things are all right as they are ! I don't want anything changed. I'm perfectly happy and you'll make me worse off if you try to make me happier. Uncle dear, I beg you not to tell anyone. Just leave me in a corner of this house and forget about me. I'm as happy as I could be," and tears began to flow from Kamala's eyes.
           "What's this, dear ? Don't cry ! I quite understand what you mean. Of course we are not disturbing your peace. Fate is working on her own lines and she is taking her time ; we should be foolish to interfere and upset everything. Don't afraid ! I'm old enough to know when to leave things alone," consoled Chakrabartti, in all solicitude for her.
           At this point Umesh entered the room, grinning as usual from ear to ear.
           "Well, what is it, Umesh ?" asked Uncle.
           "Ramesh Babu is downstairs inquiring for the Doctor Babu," said Umesh.
           The color fled from Kamala's face. Uncle jumped up exclaiming, "Don't be alarmed, dear. I'll see to it." He went down stairs and grasped Ramesh by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment