Friday, January 20, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 92



            Looking at the carriage, "have you brought some one with you ?" asked Hemamalini.
            "I have indeed," laughed Jogendra ; "I've brought a Christmas present for dad."
            Ramesh now emerged from the carriage, but as soon as she set eyes on him Hemamalini turned on her heel and beat a hurried retreat.
           "Don't go, Hem ; I've something to tell you," called Jogendra after her. She took no notice, but hastened on as though she were flying for her life from some dreadful apparition.
           Ramesh halted for a minute or two in consternation, uncertain whether to follow her or to turn back.
          "Come on, Ramesh," called Jogendra, "dad is sitting out here" ; and he took Ramesh by the arm and led him up to Annada Babu.
           The latter had seen Ramesh arrive and could hardly believe his eyes ; he was reduced to rubbing his head and murmuring, "Here's another obstacle to this match !"
           Ramesh made a low bow to him.
        Annada Babu motioned him into a chair and addressed himself to Jogendra. "Well, Jogen, you've come just in time. I thought of telegraphing to you."
        "What about ?" asked Jogendra.
        "We have arranged a marriage between Hemamalini and Nalinaksha. His mother came to see her yesterday and gave her blessings."
         "Do you mean to say it is a definite engagement, dad ? Shoudn't I have been consulted ?" questioned Jogendra.
          "One never knows what you'll say, Jogendra. You know you were keen to bring this marriage about before I ever knew Nalinaksha,' replied Annada Babu.
          "I admit I was, but let that pass ; it's not too late yet. I have a lot to tell you. You must hear me first, then you can do whatever you think right," remarked Jogendra.
          Annada Babu was not inclined to pay much attention to what Jogen said and went on, "I'll hear you some day when I'm at leisure ; I've no time to-day. I have to go out now."
          "Where are you off to ?" asked Jogen.
          "Nalinaksha's mother has invited Hem and me to break fast at her place. You two had better breakfast here, then--" suggested Annada Babu.
          "No, no, don't trouble about us. Ramesh and I can go and feed at one of the hotels here. You'll be back by the evening, I suppose. We will come along then," replied Jogendra.
          Annada Babu could not bring himself to meet Ramesh's eye, much less to address any word of welcome to him.
         Ramesh on his part did not offer any remark, but sat in silence till it was time to take leave and departed.     

No comments:

Post a Comment