Tuesday, January 24, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 96



              Hemamalini , hearing the pitiable condition of Kamala, smiled and said, "when you know me well you'll find that I'm very stupid too. I don't know anything except a few things I've learned from the books ; and so if I come to live in this house I want you always to stay with me. I'm terrified at the idea of managing a household by myself.
           "Leave it all to me," said Kamala, simply as a child. "I've been doing that sort of work ever since I was quite small. I'm not afraid of anything like that. You and I will do the housekeeping together like two sisters. You'll make him happy and I'll look after you both."
          "Tell me, dear," said Hemamalini next : "you  can never have seen your husband properly ; can you recall what he was like ?"
           Kamala did not give a direct answer to this question. "I didn't know I should have to remember him, didi.  When I came to live in my uncle's house my cousin Saila didi and I became close friends. I saw myself how she devoted herself to her husband and it opened my eyes. I never saw my husband at all, so to speak, but somehow or other I came to worship him with all my heart. God gave me a reward for my devotion, for I have now a clear picture of my husband in my mind. He never really found a wife in me, but it seems to me now that I have found my husband."
          "This tale of Kamala's devotion found a response in Hemamalini's heart. "I understand exactly what you mean," she said, after a short silence. "To get a thing in that way is real getting. Any other kind is merely physical and does not last."
          She gazed at Hemamalini for a minute or two, then she said, "It must be true when you say it, didi. I don't let myself grieve over it ; I'm perfectly happy. What I have got is my reward."
          Hemamalini took Kamala's hand in her own. "My master says that when loss and gain are alike to one that is a real gain. Really and truly, dear, if I get as much out of absolute self-devotion as you do I'll be lucky indeed."
        Kamala opened her eyes at this. "What do you mean, didi ? You'll have everything ; surely you won't want for anything ?"
        "I can be quite content," said Hemamalini, "with getting what I ought to get. To get more than that spells weariness and sorrow. You must be surprised to hear me say this sort of thing, but I feel that God is inspiring me. Do you know, dear, I had a load on my heart to-day, but since I met you it has gone and I feel that I have gained strength."

No comments:

Post a Comment