Tuesday, January 31, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 103



           After seeing Kamala, Ramesh struggled for a while to find his voice.
           "God bless you, Kamala," he said. "Forgive me for any wrongs that I have done you, knowingly or in ignorance."
           Kamala supported herself against the wall unable to utter a word in reply.
           After a short pause Ramesh went on, "If there is any message that you would like me to convey to any one, or if there is any misunderstanding that I can clear up, please command me."
          Kamala clasped her hands. "I beg you not to say a word to any one."
          "For a long time I never told any one about you," said Ramesh. "I kept silent even when silence spelt misery for myself. It was only few a days ago, when I believed you to be out of harm's reach, that I told your story, and even then it was only to the members of one family. That will not, I think, damage your cause ; in fact, it should assist it. Uncle apparently knows all. Then there is Annada Babu, whose daughter --"
          "You mean Hemamalini, of course," broke in Uncle. "Have they heard the story ?"
          "Yes," said Ramesh, "and if there is anything else that you would like me to tell them I shall do so. For myself I desire nothing more ; I have lost large slice out of my life and a good deal else besides. Now all that I desire is to be free ; I wish to pay off all my outstanding debts and obtain my release."
         Uncle grasped affectionately by hand. "No, Ramesh Babu, there's nothing else required of you. You have had such a suffering to endure and I pray that from now on your life may be free, happy, and untroubled."
         "I shall leave you now," said Ramesh, turning to Kamala. She did not open her mouth, but again made him a low obeisance.
         Ramesh walked out on to the road like one in a dream, saying to himself, "I'm glad I met Kamala ; this encounter makes a good close to the episode. Though I cannot tell for certain what led her to leave the bungalow at Ghazipur, this much is clear now that I'm quite superfluous. No one needs me except myself ; I'll go out into the world and lead my own life. There's no necessity to turn and look back." 

No comments:

Post a Comment