Sunday, January 29, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 101



            Chakrabartti came to know that Ramesh Babu was waiting downstairs for Nalinaksha. He asked Ramesh to go for a walk with him to have a private talk with Ramesh.
           "Where did you turn up from, Uncle ?" asked Ramesh in surprise.
           "It's on your own account that I'm here," said Uncle, "and I'm very glad I met you. Come on, we haven't much time ; we must get this matter settled," and he drew Ramesh out on to the road. "What brought you to this house, Ramesh Babu ?" he asked as soon as they were well on their way.
           "I've come here to tell Nalinaksha to tell him all about Kamala. I keep thinking that she may be alive after all," answered Ramesh.
           "Well, suppose she is alive and Nalinaksha should happen to meet her, do you think it would be a good thing for him to hear the story from your lips ? He has an old mother and it might go hard with Kamala if she were to hear the truth."
           "I don't know how it would affect their position in society," said Ramesh, "but I want Nalinaksha to know that not a shadow of blame attaches to Kamala. If she is really dead, my avowal will enable him to revere her memory."
           "I can't understand you modern people's line of thought," said Uncle. "If Kamala is really dead, I don't see the point of bothering him with her memory ; after all he was only her husband for one night. Do you see that house there ? That's where I live. If you'll come there to-morrow morning I'll tell you everything. Till then I ask you not to see Nalinaksha Babu."
           Ramesh assented, and Uncle returned and said to Kamala, "I want you to come to our house to-morrow morning, dear. I've decided that you must explain the position to Ramesh Babu yourself."
          Kamala made no reply, but dropped her eyes.
         "I'm convinced that it's the only thing to do," Uncle went on. "These up-to-date young men don't go by the old standards. Don't shrink from it, dear. You mustn't let any one else usurp your rights ; this is your duty and no one else's. Nothing that any of us could do would have the same effect."
          Still Kamala did not raise her eyes.
          "We've cleared the ground fairly thoroughly," he continued ; "you mustn't hesitate to sweep away the few obstacles that remain."
          At that moment Nalinaksha appeared there ; Kamala stood at the door and his eyes met hers, but this time he did not, as on former occasions, immediately avert his eyes and hasten away. It was only for a moment that he gazed at Kamala, but even that momentary glance seemed to take in something of Kamala's face instead of, as before, dismissing it as a thing only to be looked at furtively, without right or title.
         Next instant he noticed Sailaja, and he was on the point of retiring when Uncle intervened. "Don't run away, Nalinaksha Babu ; we look on you as one of ourselves. This is my daughter Saila, whose little girl you treated when she was sick."
         Sailaja bowed to Nalinaksha.
        "How is the little girl ?" he asked, returning her salutation.
        "She is quite well now," said Saila.
        "You never give me a chance to get my fill of your society," Chakrabartti went on. "now that you have come in you had better stay."
         Uncle made him sit down, then looked round to find that Kamala had slipped out. Her surprise and joy at the look in Nalinaksha's eyes had been too much for her and she had retired to compose herself.
         Kshemankari now entered the room. "I must trouble you to get up now," she said to Chakrabartti.
         Chakrabartti excused himself, went out for a while and returned to the sitting-room after duly regaling himself. "Just wait here a minute," he announced to Nalinaksha and his mother. "I'm coming back."
         He went out again and came back in a minute or two, leading Kamala by the hand, Sailaja bringing up the rear.
         "Nalinaksha Babu," began Chakrabartti, "you mustn't treat our Haridasi as a stranger. I'm leaving the poor girl in your house and I want you and your mother to regard her in every respect as one of yourselves. All she will require of you will be full opportunities to serve you both.She'll never knowingly commit any fault, that I can assure you."
          "My good sir," said Kshemankari, "you have no cause to worry. We've already made Haridasi a daughter of the house. We've never to this day had to make the least effort to find occupation for her. I've kept the entire responsibility of kitchen and storeroom on her. Somehow or other I'm pushed into the background. I used to keep the keys myself, but Haridasi has contrived to filch them away too. Are you threatening to take to take her away with you ?"
           "She wouldn't stir even if I told her, so you can set your mind at rest," retorted Chakrabartti. "You people have cast such a spell over her that she has forgotten the existence of every one else. Poor girl, she has had a hard time and she has found peace with you at last. May Heaven keep her in that peace and may she always find favor in your eyes ; that's my parting blessing to her !" and his eyes moistened.
           Nalinaksha had been listening in fascinated silence.


No comments:

Post a Comment