Sunday, January 15, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 87



            One day Kshemakari sent for her son and said to him, "Nalin, you're not to charge any fees to our friend Chakrabartti !"
           Uncle laughed. "He obeys his mother's order before he receives it. He hasn't charged me any thing at all. The generous recognise a poor man when they see him."
          The father and daughter went on maturing their plans for a few more days, then one morning Uncle said to Kamala, "Come on, lass, we must go and bathe ; it's the Dasaswamedh festival."
         "You'll have to come too, didi," said Kamala to Saila.
         "Can't come, dear," said Saila, "Umi's not very well."
         Uncle brought Kamala back from the bathing ghat by a different route from the one which they had  taken on the outward journey.
         On the way they overtook an old lady returning from her bath dressed in silk and carrying a jar of Ganges water. Uncle placed Kamala in her path and announced, "This is the doctor babu's mother, dear, ; make your bow to her." Kamala was startled at his words, but she at once prostrated herself before Kshemankari and reverently touched the dust of her feet.
        "Dear me, who's this ?" cried Kshemankari. "What a beauty ! a perfect little Lakshmi," and drew aside Kamala's veil and scanned her downcast face. "What is your name, dear ?" she asked.
        Before Kamala could reply Uncle interrupted ; "Her name is Haridasi and she is daughter of a cousin of mine. She has no parents and is dependent on me."
        "Come along, sir !" said Kshemankari, "you had better both come home with me."
         Kshemankari took them to her house and called for Nalinaksha, but as it happened he was out. Uncle ensconced himself in a chair and Kamala took a less exalted seat.
         Uncle opened the conversation. "I must tell you that this niece of mine has been very unfortunate. The day after her marriage her husband turned ascetic and took to the road, and she has never seen him since. She wants to lead a religious life in some holy place ; religion is her only comfort now. But I don't live here and I cannot throw up my post at Ghazipur. I need it to support my family, so I couldn't settle down here with her. That's why I'm asking a favor of you. It would take a load off my mind if she could stay here and be a daughter to you. If at any time you feel disinclined to keep her, then send her to me at Ghazipur ; but I assure you that by the time she has been a couple of days with you, you will realize what a treasure she is, and you won't want to part with her for a moment."
           Kshemankari heartily accepted Haridasi saying, "now you've given her to me and you need have no anxiety about her. You must have heard people talk about my son Nalinaksha ; he's a very good lad ; there's no one living here except us two."
         "Every one has heard of Nalinaksha," said Uncle, "I've heard that his wife was drowned soon after they were married  and I'm heartily glad to know that he's living with you now as an ascetic."
          "It was God's will," said Kshemankari, "but please don't talk of it. The thought of it makes me shiver."
          "If you'll allow me," said Uncle, "I'll leave Haridasi with you now, but I'll visit her now and then. There's her big sister too ; she will also come and pay her respects to you."
           As soon as Uncle left Kshemakari drew Kamala to her affectionately, pressing a finger caressingly on Kamala's chin, she said, "you're quite a child and what a clod to go leaving a girl like you ! Fate never intended such beauty as yours to run to waste. You'll have no companions of your own age here. Will you mind living alone with me ?"
          "No, mother," said Kamala, "I consider it a divine ordinance for me to work for you !"
          "I'm wondering what work I'll give you to do," Kshemankari went on, "well, I'll give you some lessons. Can you read /"
           "Yes, I can read," said Kamala.
           "I'm glad of that," said Kshemankari. "I can't see now without glasses and you'll be able to read to me."
           "I've learnt cooking and housework," Kamala volunteered.
           "Well, so far, I've always cooked for Nalin myself, and when I'm ill he prefers cooking for himself to eating anything prepared by another person. From now on, thanks to you, I shan't let him cook his own food, and if I can't manage for myself I'll be very glad to have you cook simple things for me. Come along, dear, I'll show you my store room and kitchen," and she took Kamala behind the scenes of her little home.    

No comments:

Post a Comment