Saturday, January 21, 2012

THE WRECK; re-visited 93



              On the day before, Kshemankari had said to Kamala, "I've invited Hemamalini and her father to come to breakfast to-marrow, dear. We ought to feed Annada Babu so well that he'll be impressed  and never be afraid of his daughter not getting enough to eat here. However, you're such a good cook that I know you'll do me credit. My son has appreciation of your cooking to the extent that he couldn't find words to express, he said to me yesterday. You're not looking cheerful to-day, dear ; are you quite well ?"
          "I'm all right, thank you, mother," said Kamala, with a forced smile.
         Kshemankari shook her head. "I'm afraid you're worrying about something. It's natural enough and you needn't be frightened to tell me. Don't treat me as a stranger, dear ; I look on you as my own daughter. You must really tell me if there's anything in the life here that doesn't suit you or if you want to see any of your own folk."
         "I don't want anything except to work for you, mother !' exclaimed Kamala eagerly.
         "Perhaps you had better go to your uncle's and stay there for a few days, then you come back here when you feel inclined," Kshemankari went on.
         "Mother !" cried Kamala in dismay, "so long as I can stay with you I shan't want to see anybody else in the world. If I do anything wrong, please punish me as you think fit, but don't send me away even for one day !"
         Kshemankari stroked the girl's cheek as she replied, "That's one of the things that make me think you were my mother in some former life, dear. Otherwise how is it that we took to each other so at first sight ? Now be off and go to bed early. You haven't known what it is to rest all day."
        Kamala went to her bedroom, locked the door, extinguished the light, and sat down on the floor in the darkness to think. Her thoughts shaped themselves in to this form : "I cannot continue to watch over him when Heaven has deprived me of any right to do so. I must prepare myself to give him up altogether. Nothing is left but the small opportunities I have to serve him from time to time, and these shall do everything in my power to retain. God grant me strength to perform these duties with a smiling face, and never even to aspire to anything more ! It cost me dear to achieve even this much. If I cannot do cheerfully what there is to do, if I go about my work looking dismal, then I must give up everything."
        At last she made the following resolution :
        "From to-morrow I shall entertain no more regrets ; I shall never look unhappy, I shall never allow myself to sight for the unattainable. I shall be content to serve all the days of my life. I shall never, never, never ask for anything more," and she retired to bed, and fell asleep after turning over from one side to the other for some time.
          In the next morning when she rose she folded her hands and concentrated all her will-power on the resolution, "I shall never, never, never ask for anything more ; I shall serve you till death." She took Umesh to accompany her to the river in the bitter cold of dawn.
          "Why did you go off so early ?" asked Kshemankari, "You should have waited and come with me."
          "I couldn't wait to-day, mother," said Kamala, "there's too much to do. I have to slice the vegetables and I must send Umesh off early to the market to fetch the things that we still need."
          "You have considered everything, dear. Our guest will find his breakfast ready as soon as he arrives."
          Nalinaksha came out at this point and Kamala at once pulled her veil over her wet locks and went indoors.
         "I forgot to tell you yesterday, Nalin, that Annada Babu is coming to-day to give you his blessings," revealed Kshemankari.
          "To give me his blessing ? Why has he become so gracious all of a sudden ? I see him every day," remarked Nalinaksha.
           "I went round yesterday, presented Hemamalini with a pair of bangles, and gave her my blessing ; now it's Annada Babu's turn to give you his. Well, don't be late. They're coming here for breakfast" ; and old lady went off to her bath.
          Nalinaksha strolled away with his head bent, meditating.   

No comments:

Post a Comment