Wednesday, December 28, 2011

THE WRECK; re-visited 68



              Annada Babu had rented a bungalow in a secluded part of the cantonment out side the Benares city.
            On his arrival in Benares city he had learned that Nalinaksha's mother, Kshemankari, was suffering from pneumonia. As a result of Hemamalini's unremitting care the illness of the old lady started subsiding, though she was left deplorably weak. Kshemankari was so rigid on her ceremonial purity that she could not take from the hands of the Brahmo girl such potions and nourishment and as such Hemamalini could offer no assistance. She had been accustomed to cook her own food, and now Nalinaksha prepared the invalid's diet and served up all her meals, greatly to his mother's distress.
          Austere as Kshemankari was in respect of her own comfort and personal adornment, she had a keen eye for order and personal beauty Of Hemamalini and the old lady pictured as her daughter-in-law and nurtured a day-dream. Undue insistence on ritual she considered unbecoming in Nalinaksha as she strongly disapproved of his austere mode of life.
       The old lady started feeling the comfort of the company of Hemamalini and thoroughly enjoyed loosening her long tresses and braiding them afresh in some ever-novel fashion She even went the length of unlocking her ebony chest and tricking the girl out in the bright- colored garments that she loved. Dressing-up was a game in which she took heartfelt delight.  Almost every day Hemamalini spent the evening with old lady in learning needlework.
       Kshemankari was also very fond of reading Bengali novels and Hemamalini brought all her books and periodicals that she possessed. Hem marvelled at the shrewdness of the old lady's comments on the stories and essays ; she had always imagined that such discrimination could only be the product of an English education. The witness of her discourse and the piety of her mode of life made Nalinaksha's mother appear a very wonderful woman in Hemamalini's eyes. There was nothing commonplace or conventional about her, and Hemamalini's intercourse with her was a series of delightful surprises to the girl.
      Kshemankari succumbed to another attack of fever, but this bout did not last so long as the last. One morning during her convalescence, when Nalinaksha came in and saluted her like dutiful son by touching her feet, he took the opportunity to urge her to allow herself to be treated as invalid. Her usual austerities, he observed, were not suited to a person in her condition.
       "So, I'm to renounce my old habits while you proceed to renounce the world altogether ?" cried the old lady. "My dear Nalin, you can't keep up this farce any longer. Kindly do as your mother tells you and get married !"
        Nalinaksha was silent and Kshemankari proceeded : "You see, my dear, this old lady of mine won't last much longer. I shan't die happy unless I see you married I look forward to your marrying of a girl whom I could train myself. I had visions of dressing her up to suit my own ideas. There is no saying how long I shall live, and I can't take for granted that my remaining lease of life will be a long one. It would not be fair to leave you with an uninformed girl on your hands. Much better marry someone one whose age is nearer to your own. I lay awake every night, while I had fever, thinking this out. I feel very strongly that this is the last duty that I owe to you, and I must live to perform it, otherwise my mind will never be at rest."
       "But where am I to find a girl who would settle down contentedly with me ?" asked Nalinaksha.
       "Don't trouble your head about that. I'll arrange matters for you and you'll know the result in good time."
        Kshemankari had never personally encountered Annada Babu, for she had always remained in her customary seclusion when he visited her house. That day , however, when the old gentleman looked in during his evening constitutional, she intimated that she wished to see him ; and no sooner was he ushered into her presence than she went straight to the point.
       "Your daughter," she began, "is a very charming girl, and I am exceedingly fond of her. You both know my son Nalin. His character is irreproachable and his professional reputation is high. Do you agree with me that you might have difficulty in finding a better husband for your daughter ?"
        "You really mean this ?" exclaimed Annada Babu. "Why, I never dared to hope for such a thing. I should certainly consider myself very lucky to have Nalinaksha for a son-in-law, but what is Nalinaksha's opinion about this proposal ?"       

No comments:

Post a Comment