Saturday, December 10, 2011

THE WRECK; re-visited 50


           When Annada Babu and Hemamalini entered the room they found to their dismay Akshay already installed there ; for the time being Hem was her old self again, but the sight of Akshay would be a set back ; however, it was too late to remedy the situation for Hemamalini had already followed him into the room. Akshay rose at once.
          "Well, Jogen, I had better be off now," he said, but to the astonishment of all present Hemamalini only remarked : "What's the matter, Akshay Babu ? Are you in such a hurry ? Have a cup of tea first."
           "Akshay resumed his seat. "I had two cups already, but I have enough sense never to refuse a good thing when I'm offered it."
           "By the same token, may good thing never refuse you when you offer yourself ! Could a priest give you a better blessing than that ?" said Jogendra.
           Hemamalini excused herself on the grounds that her hair required attention, and Akshay departed to attend an engagement.
          "Dad, we must not wait any longer to get Hem married. There's a lot of gossip going on about her engagement to Ramesh being broken off. I can't go on fighting single-handed like this. If I were in a position to tell the whole truth I shouldn't mind the scrapping, but for Hem's sake I can't speak out freely, so I have to fight with my mouth shut. Just the other day, you know, I had to trounce Akhil. I heard he had been speaking too freely. If we can get her married soon the talk will subside, and I shan't have to go round playing the part of sole champion turning up my sleeves and challenging the world. I strongly advise you not put it off any longer," said jogendra.
          "But whom is she to marry, Jogen ?" asked Annada Babu.
          "There is only one man. It would be difficult to find any one else, except poor Akshay ; he's not easily choked off. Tell him to take a pill and he'll take it. Bid him  marry and he'll marry."
           "Are you mad, Jogen ? Do you think Hem would ever marry Akshay ?" retorted Annada Babu.
          "I 'll manage to get her consent if only you don't interfere," replied Jogen.
          "No, Jogen, no," exclaimed his father, "I can't have you trying your persuasion on Hem ; you'll only frighten her and worry her out of her wits. Leave her alone for a little. Poor girl, she has had a trying experience and she needn't marry all at once."
         "I'm not going to put any pressure on her ; I'll make every endeavor to be considerate and gentle with her without quarreling."
         Jogendra was not in the habit of letting the grass grow under his feet. He accosted Hemamalini as soon as she had completed coiffure and emerged from her room. "Hem, I want to have a talk with you."
         Jogendra put all his efforts to convince Hamamalini to get married as soon as possible on the pretext that their father's health is deteriorating due to the fate of her broken engagement and the shame there by that they are experiencing. He coaxed her saying, "for frivolous or unfair reasons you have conceived a dislike for well-meaning friends. But you must admit among all your friends there is one in particular who has been true to you in prosperity and adversity, through good and bad repute, and whom I respect greatly in consequence. If you want a husband who would give his life to see you happy I know where to look for him provided you give your consent. But if you want melodrama--"
          Hemamalini rose to her feet. "Please don't speak to me like that.If dad orders me to marry any one I shall do as he tells me. Wait till I disobey him before you talk about melodrama."
      

No comments:

Post a Comment