Friday, December 9, 2011

THE WRECK; re-visited 49


          After Ramesh Babu disappeared from the scene of Annada Babu's surroundings the world that had seemed to Hemamalini like a dream suddenly sprang in to reality and shame and distress overwhelmed her. A sad change had come over Annada Babu who had borne the brunt of the storm that had burst over Hemamalaini ; he had never relaxed his endeavors to alleviate his daughters distress ; and when he had found all his efforts to comfort her unavailing his thoughts had turned to her mother and he had brought out this cry of helplessness from the depths of loving heart-Hemamalini saw it all in a flash. Conscience dealt her a buffet and swept her out of absorption in her own misery and by an effort of will she rent asunder and cast aside the entangling net of memories in which she had wrapped herself.
        "I say , dad," said Hemamalini, "how old was I when mother died ?"
        "You were only three then and had just begun to talk. I remember quite well your asking me, 'Where mother ?' and my saying, 'She has gone to her daddy'-your mother's father died before you were born and you never knew him. You didn't understand what I meant and you said nothing but just stood and looked solemnly at me. Then you took me by the hand and pulled me into your mother's room. You thought that though the room was empty I should find some clue there to tell me where she was. You knew that your father could do a lot, but you didn't realize that when it came to matters of life and death your big daddy was as ignorant and helpless as a baby. You can realize now how helpless I am ! God has given your father the capacity to love you but not to help you," and he laid his hand on his daughter's head.
         Jogendra was gravely dissatisfied with the turns affairs had taken. He found life at home almost unendurable ; and yet he was disinclined to seek others' society, for whenever he visited the houses of friends or acquaintances he had to furnish explanation of the rupture of Hemamalini's engagement. He went to the roof top to find his father and sister there and coaxed them to come down to the tea-table for some discussion.
       "I chose this place for a quiet talk with Hem," Annada Babu hastened to explain. His intention was to protect his daughter from Jogendra's unfeeling taunts, but his words were capable of the interpretation that he had dragged Hem up to the roof to engage her in conversation.
        "Can't one talk just as well at the tea-table ?" cried Jogendra. "You are just encouraging Hem in her foolishness, dad.You'll drive me out of this house at this rate."
         "I've decided not to have any tea to-day." said Annada Babu to avoid further conversation.
         "Why, dad, are you going to turn an out-and-out ascetic ? What's to happen to me, then ? I can't live on air," requested Jogendra.
          "Oh, no, it's not a question of asceticism. I didn't not sleep well last night so I thought of trying the effect of little abstinence."
          Hemamalini did not believe that her father seriously meant to cure himself of sleeplessness by abstaining from his usual indulgence. "Come along, dad, you must have your tea," she cried, and, forgetting his dread of insomnia, Annada Babu hurried off with her.          

No comments:

Post a Comment