Sunday, November 13, 2011

THE WRECK; re-visited 23


        As soon as Hemamalini opened her eyes she preferred for Akshay to go away from there immediately and Akshay went  out in to the passage.

     Annada Babu sat down on the sofa beside her and gently stroked her hand and neck. Her eyes filled with tears and her bosom began to heave.She leaned her breast against her father's knee in an attempt to repress her uncontrollable grief.

    "Never mind, dear, never mind," murmured Annada Babu in broken accents. "I know Ramesh well and he would never deceive us. Jogen must have made a mistake."

    Jogendra tried his best to make them believe him and take his proposals to be followed. Hemamalini raised her head from her father's knee, sat up, and looked Jogendra in the face. "I tell you plainly that I'll never believe it till I hear it from his own lips," and she staggered to her feet. Annada Babu sprang up with an exclamation and saved her from falling. She left to her own room saying "Please leave me to myself for a little, dad, and I I'll go to sleep."

   Annada Babu retired in to his room and started recollecting his affinity to Hemamalini ever since his wife died when Hemamalini was three years old. His thoughts of Hem's mother with her devotion, her patience, and her unfailing cheerfulness made his heart torn with anxiety for the daughter for whom he had endeavoured all these years to take a mother's place and who had grown up to be the image of the lost one. He found himself mentally addressing the prostrate girl. "Dear, I pray that Heaven may remove all obstacles from your path and that you may be happy all the rest of your life. I pray that before I join your mother I may see you blissful and contented, safely installed by the hearth of a man whom you love !" and he wiped his moist eyes with the fringe of his coat.

      For Jogendra, having rated women's intelligence low,  the day's events only confirmed him his estimate. Finding the unyielding faith of his father and sister in Ramesh, he hailed Akshay.

   Akshay sidled into the room. "You've heard everything. What is to be done now ?" asked Jogendra.

   "Why do you drag me into it, old man ? It's no concern of mine. I've kept quiet all these days. It was hardly fair play to involve me in the mess !" replied Akshay.

   They decided to induce Ramesh to personally write Hemamalini and left the matter to remain there.  


No comments:

Post a Comment